Thursday, May 13, 2010

Wedding dress of doom

I've been looking online for a wedding dress before attempting to go to a bridal salon. I have no idea if I will have any money for a wedding dress, but I like to dream and try to imagine what would look good on me. Unfortunately it is very hard to find a dress that would be right for me.

Part of the problem is the wedding gown industry itself. Apparently the designers of these gowns imagine that all brides are a size 10 or lower and want a tight-fitted sleeveless strapless dress. I am not that person. Also I have never been fond of the idea of wearing a gown with a train. It is very hard to find a cheap floor-length figure-flattering gown with sleeves.

On top of this I actually would like, if possible, to have a white gown with black detailing. It may sound strange, but I would like these colors since I am a lay Dominican, and white and black are the colors of our Order.

You can imagine that there is not likely to be a gown that is exactly what I want out there. This means that I will have to settle, and I will probably be thinking of this whenever I see my wedding photos or remember the wedding.

I don't understand why society allows designers or their companies and corporations to decide what is available for brides to wear. I certainly understand that many women like to be stylish and up to date with current trends. However there are plenty of other women like me who wish to wear a classic design that conforms to their desire to be modest and true to themselves and their faiths. Apparently only the rich and skinny would easily be able to find this type own gown online.

If I had any talent in sewing I would make my own gown. Since I do not and have no family or friend who is so talented or available, choosing my wedding dress is turning out to be a painful process for me.

No comments: