Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Things are not as they seem

I am one of those lucky rare people in the world who gets sensory hallucinations as migraine aura. Sometimes I can tell right away if it's real or not, and sometimes it takes me a bit to figure it out.

Yesterday I had two interesting ones. The smell of lilacs, which I love, permeated my bedroom. My window was not open and I don't have perfumes so I knew it was not real. When I was lying on my bed nursing the migraine I felt something on my back. It almost felt like an arm. But there was no one else in the room.

A few days ago I heard this annoying bird outside my window. It would not be quiet. Every few seconds it was "Coo, coo, coo." After hearing this a few hours my son came in the room and I mentioned how annoying it was. He didn't hear a thing. I knew it was my migraine then.

It can be very disconcerting to see spiders and bugs on the wall out of the corner of my vision only to find they aren't really there. When I smell something yummy cooking and I find out it doesn't exist I feel quite embarrased and disappointed.

It is often hard to accept that I can't rely on my own senses to tell me the truth. I certainly don't like openly talking about this since I don't want to be misunderstood or labelled as "crazy." But it is the reality that I face everyday that what I see, hear, smell, or touch may not actually be real.

No comments: