Sunday, May 16, 2010

Crying bullets

My son came up to me a few minutes ago and told me, "Bullets flew out of the enemy's eye socket!"

Fortunately I know what he is talking about.

Our Xbox 360 was sent out for repairs, and it came back yesterday. Now we are all enjoying playing Mass Effect 2. I think we are both on our third playthroughs. I'm still not tired of it yet.

Mass Effect (the original) is my favorite game. I never got tired of playing through it. I was, and still am, hoping that I would feel the same with the sequel. One of the major differences in gameplay between the games is combat.

I like the overall design of combat. Using the D-pad to send out teammates is something that was improved. I like the effects of certain ammunition that can be used in ME2. The fact that my new infiltrator character can become invisible in combat is a major plus. But there is one thing I can't stand. The fact that I can now run out of ammunition drives me nuts.

In the first game you never run out of ammo. You assign the different types of ammo to the specific weapons for a desired effect. Now the special ammo can be used in most guns you carry for a limited amount of time as an ability. But you can run out of your regular ammo in a rough fight and be almost defenseless. The new game drops ammo randomly from kills during the fight, hence the quote from my son.

I really love this game, almost as much as the first. But this new ammunition count system may make the difference in whether it can top the first. I will know more when I max out the levels of my main character and try the harder difficulty settings.

No comments: