Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Insanity prevention

If a person asked you the same series of questions repeatedly all day long every day, how do you think you would react? Screaming? Violence? Pretending to ignore them? Well, I am in this situation with my daughter. Thanks to a combination of her autism, irrational fears, and anxiety she is constantly asking me the same questions, over and over, and it is driving me crazy.

If I try to ignore her, her anxiety gets worse. If I get mad and tell her not to ask me again, well, she just gets upset back at me as well as more anxious. Violence is not an option, of course. The best I can do is either answer simply and try to distract her or tell her, "You know the answer."

Still, the repetition is getting me so irritable. Sometimes it bleeds over into my interactions with other people, such as my fiance. I am finding myself more moody and less tolerant of minor irritations.

I would be slowly going insane by this entire situation if it weren't for my steadfast faith in God. I know He loves her and created her wonderfully. I know he has gifted me the graces to be able to take care of her special needs. And I know that everything will turn out well for us.

Daily prayer has been so helpful for me. I try to meditate on Scripture daily as well. Some nights I go to bed realizing the day was so bad that I had barely paid any attention to God or my prayers. Still I am determined to cling to them, since they are the only way I can be sure to keep sane.

No comments: