Monday, October 18, 2010

Computer woes

In the last week I have had to replace my family's computer. The old PC has been having problems with the power supply. It would turn off several times in the morning before it warmed up enough to stay on for the rest of the day. Annoying but tolerable. I should have paid heed to the warning though and backed up our files. I thought about it Friday but was going to put it off for a day or two.

A day was too late.

Saturday morning the PC would not turn on at all. No flicker of light, No hum (or even grinding) of the power supply. It was dead. And it took all of our data with it.

I know the data is salvageable, if you know how to put together and repair computers that is. Since I am unskilled in that area (as is pretty much everyone I know) the only option for us was to get a new computer and mourn our data loss.

I thought my iPod would be okay but iTunes won't let me download my songs from my iPod back into the new iTunes library. It only recognizes the songs I purchased from iTunes. So it will take some time trying to get my library back, including all the podcasts I had been subscribed to and all the CDs I had transferred to it.

Today there was a small glimmer of joy when a very important file was able to be recovered from an e-mail. The thought of spending a few hours recreating it was so daunting. Finding that attachment intact made my day.

No comments: