Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sub vs. dub




I really enjoy watching anime. Anime is released in the original Japanese language. In order for me to enjoy the anime I must decide on either watching it in Japanese with English subtitles or with English dubbed audio. I almost never choose dubs because:

1. Japanese voice actors convey a larger range of emotion while still sounding natural. A good example of this would be the main character Ichigo in the anime Bleach.

2. Translation sometimes cause the dialogue to sound unnatural in English. Please Teacher viewers would agree that no husband would regularly call his wife, "Ma'am."

3. English voice actors and actresses often try to imitate the softness or roughness of the Japanese actors' voices, and this sounds unnatural. This is especially apparent in female voices and voices of children.

The only anime series I can enjoy, and not just tolerate, in English dub is Chobits. For some reason I find Chii's voice infinitely more cute in English than Japanese.

Thank goodness my otaku fiance agrees with me on this subject, so we can easily watch anime together without arguing over the language.

No comments: