Thursday, August 26, 2010

There can be only one!




Yesterday was an interesting day with my son. I made him watch the movie Highlander. Now he knows why I keep making references to the phrase in today's blog title as well as the "Quickening." He also pointed out the cheesiness and ridiculousness of various things. He wanted all the characters to die and loved the decapitations.

One of the great joys of being a parent is being able to see the world anew through their eyes. When children are small their interest in things we take for granted is such a profoundly moving experience. Caterpillars, rainbows, and dandelions are seen with delight. As my children have aged I still enjoy seeing things through their eyes. In the last year I have been introducing my son to movies that I experienced by the time I was his age.

Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Willow

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Faces of Death

Project X

Max Dugan Returns

The Breakfast Club

These movies are just a few of what I've shown my son. Most he has loved. A few, like Highlander, he spent the whole movie adding his own commentary.

Some day my son will decide what he wants to do with his life, hopefully involving college, working, moving out, and/or marriage. Until then I will take these special moments as they come and enjoy them as much as possible.

No comments: